The true measure of a just society is how well the most vulnerable are faring. Engaging the voices and needs of the poor and vulnerable are critical toward the making of good public policy. MCC advocates for:
- Tax policies that support low-income residents.
- The allocation of state budget resources to provide critical services for vulnerable persons, especially health care, food, and heating assistance.
- Energy policies and regulations which promote competition, support for low-income ratepayers, and foster environmental stewardship.
- Affirmation of the recognized right to exercise religious conscience in the provision of publicly-funded services.
- Maintenance of the tax-exempt status for nonprofit organizations.
- Affordable housing for low- and moderate-income families
- and individuals.
- Affordable and accessible transportation options for low and moderate-income workers.
- Regulatory legislation that will protect the faith-based mission of churches and institutions.
- Policies that support fair and adequate working conditions for all employees.
- Policies that foster and promote employment for Michigan residents.
- MCC Urges Michigan House to Pass Legislation that Removes Government Barrier to Marriage (06/07/18)
- Tying Homestead Property Tax Credit Increase to Inflation Would Benefit Low-Income Workers, Seniors (10/21/15)
- MCC: House Vote to Eliminate EITC ‘Disappointing’ (06/10/15)
- Response to Legislation to Eliminate Earned Income Tax Credit (06/02/15)
- ‘A Blueprint for the Common Good’ (02/09/15)
- The Word from Lansing Column:
- Clean and Affordable Water for All (Focus Essay, 5/2019)
- Transportation, Community, and the Common Good (Focus Essay, 7/2016)
- Catholic Charities of Michigan, Inc
- Letter Calling for Greater Attention to Poor and Unemployed in State Budget (Michigan Bishops, 4/2011)
- Statement on State of Michigan Budget (Michigan Bishops, 9/2009)
- Poverty in Michigan, Grief, Anxiety and Suffering on the Rise (Focus Essay, 3/2008)
MCC in the News
- Faith Leaders Embrace New Mission: 2020 Census (Detroit News, 05/28/20)
- Opinion: How to Sustain Life During a Pandemic (Detroit News, 04/23/20)
- MCC Calls Governor’s Abortion Stance Removed from Reality (Catholic News Agency, 04/20/20)
- Organizations Push for Increased Earned Income Tax Credit (Michigan Radio, 06/12/19)
- Opponents Speak Out Against Mich. Pot Legalization Proposal (Detroit News, 10/24/18)
- MCC CEO Long Elected to National Leadership Post (The Michigan Catholic, 09/20/18)
- Iden Seeks Gaming Reforms to Allow Michigan Charities More Fundraising Options (The Peninsula, 04/21/17)
- Anti Poverty Groups Slam Killing Tax Credit (Detroit News, 06/02/15)
- Reactions to Gov. Rick Snyder’s State of State Address (Associated Press, 01/20/15)
- Lawmakers, Leaders, Respond to Gov. Snyder’s Veto of Gun Bill (Detroit Free Press, 12/19/12)