Education is essential for the betterment of society by providing opportunities for children and adults to reach their fulfillment.
Parents are the primary educators of their children and should have the freedom to determine the education that best suits their child. Schools of all kinds should be supported by the state so families can select from quality education options.
In its advocacy to support students, schools, and parents, MCC supports:
- Reimbursement to nonpublic schools for state-mandated, non-instructional services, including policies which protect the health, safety, and well-being of students.
- Maximizing opportunities for nonpublic school students to participate in comprehensive shared time services.
- Improving the quality of public education and ensure parental rights within the public school setting.
- Parental rights regarding the education of their children in general.
- State policies that enable Michigan residents to take full advantage of federal school choice programs.
- A requirement that all public school districts have open enrollment policies.
- Protection of nonpublic schools from excessive regulation.
- Continued participation of nonpublic schools in school safety and non-core extra-curricular grant opportunities.
- Adequate funding for the Michigan Tuition Grant and Tuition Incentive Programs.
- Amending Article VIII, Section 2 of the Michigan Constitution, which prohibits any state educational funding to nonpublic schools or their students, to allow the Michigan Legislature greater flexibility for necessary education reforms.
- Policies and funding that foster and promote education and job training for the skilled trades, including information technology support positions, especially for students in low-income families.
- Inclusion of nonpublic schools, students, faculty, and staff in funding programs or initiatives, whenever appropriate.
- Catechism of the Catholic Church (1908, 1911, 1653, 1656–1657, 2206, 2211, 2221, 2223, 2229, 2372, 2685)
- Evangelii Gaudium (Pope Francis, 2013)
- Renewing Our Commitment to Catholic Elementary and Secondary Schools in the Third Millennium (U.S. Bishops, 2005)
- Gravissimum Educationis (Pope Paul VI, 1965)
- After ESA Veto, Gov. Whitmer and Lawmakers Encouraged to Direct Billions in Federal Resources to Students Impacted by Covid (11/08/21)
- To Provide Michigan Families with Greater Educational Options, MCC Urges Gov. Whitmer to Sign ESA Legislation (10/27/21)
- Governor’s Veto of Health and Safety Line-Item Neither Just Nor Fair (09/30/20)
- MCC Joins Legal Brief to Support Nonpublic Schools in Michigan vs. DeVos CARES Act Case (07/29/20)
- Lawsuit to Block COVID-19 Funding Discriminates Against Nonpublic School Students (07/07/20)
- The Word from Lansing Column:
- Our Plan to Advance the Common Good This Legislative Session (02/03/23)
- During Pandemic, Catholic Schools Rise to the Challenge (04/30/21)
- Small Steps of Love in the State Budget Process (03/12/21)
- During Challenges, the Church Calls for Faith (08/14/20)
- Patience and Persistence: Advocacy Successes in 2019 (01/17/20)
- Michigan Association of Non-Public Schools, a service provider and public policy voice for Michigan non-public schools
- National Catholic Education Association, a voluntary association of Catholic educators and institutions
- Catholic Schools: Developing Hearts and Minds of Faith (Focus Essay, 11/2013)
- A Just Beginning for All, A Series of Messages on Education (Michigan Bishops, 2000)
- Statement on Education Reform (MCC Board of Directors, 1993)
- Lansing Update:
- Signs of Hope Emerge as Opposition Efforts Continue Against Reproductive Health Act (09/22/23)
- Nonpublic School Funding Included in Signed Education Budget (07/28/23)
- MCC Urges Grassroots Action on Bills Restricting Counselor Speech (07/07/23)
- MCC Keeping Tabs on Budget Process Now Underway (04/28/23)
- Gun Safety Bills Pass Legislature and Much More (03/24/23)
- Bulletin Insert: Education Advocacy
- Poll: Voters Overwhelmingly Support Expanding Schools of Choice Policies (9/2012)