Access to affordable and adequate healthcare is a basic human necessity required for upholding the dignity of human life.
Whether provided by the state, employers, or by faith-based institutions, healthcare must be extended to the poor, uninsured, unemployed, and other vulnerable populations.
To improve access to affordable and adequate health care for all, MCC supports:
- Protection of health coverage, including preventative care, for low- and moderate-income individuals and families.
- Appropriate Medicaid funding to ensure adequate coverage for recipients and payments to providers.
- Upholding the mission of faith-based institutions and the conscience of individual faith-based providers.
- Ensuring access and adequate resources for physical and behavioral health care, including telemedicine and treatment for addictions and substance abuse.
- Ensuring patients are treated with dignity and respect.
- Catechism of the Catholic Church (1509, 1908, 2211, 2288)
- Evangelii Gaudium (Pope Francis, 2013)
- Laborem Exercens (John Paul II, 1981)
- Health and Health Care (U.S. Bishops, 1981)
- Pacem in Terris, No. 11 (John XXIII, 1963)
- Michigan Bishops Revise Statement to Address Moral Dimensions of New Johnson & Johnson Vaccine (03/03/21)
- Michigan Bishops Share Moral Considerations Regarding COVID-19 Vaccines (12/18/20)
- Governor Whitmer’s 2020–2021 State Budget Includes Highs and Lows, Says Catholic Conference (02/06/20)
- For Second Straight Year, MCC Presented with Three Top Awards for Excellence in Public Relations (04/22/19)
- Michigan Catholic Conference Urges ‘No’ Vote on Ballot Question to Legalize Recreational Marijuana (10/02/18)
- The Word from Lansing Column:
- Our Plan to Advance the Common Good This Legislative Session (02/03/23)
- Small Steps of Love in the State Budget Process (03/12/21)
- COVID-19 Vaccines and Moral Considerations (01/15/21)
- Water Shutoffs Are a Health Concern in COVID-19 Pandemic (12/18/20)
- Patience and Persistence: Advocacy Successes in 2019 (01/17/20)
- Clean and Affordable Water for All (Focus Essay, 5/2019)
- Proposal 1—Say No to Recreational Marijuana (Focus Essay, 10/2018)
- Vaccinations and the Common Good (Focus Essay, 3/2018)
- Confronting Michigan’s Opioid Crisis (Focus Essay, 6/2017)
- Transportation, Community, and the Common Good (Focus Essay, 7/2016)
- Healthy Michigan Plan Info
- Department of Community Health: MiChild Health Insurance for uninsured children of Michigan’s working families
- Health Care as a Basic Human Right (Focus Essay, 3/2010)
- A Framework for Comprehensive Health Care Reform (U.S. Bishops, 1993)
- Lansing Update:
- MCC Reflections on Pope Benedict (01/06/23)
- What Was Left Unfinished as Legislature Ends Session (12/09/22)
- Bills Protecting Children Move Forward in Michigan (12/02/22)
- MCC Fights Against Predatory Lending and more… (02/11/22)
- “MCC Weighs in on Religious Liberty Concerns in State Supreme Court Case” and more… (12/23/21)
- Letter to Senate Health Policy Committee on Opioid Package (9/2017)
- Position Paper: Medicaid Expansion (9/2013)
- MCC Video: Medicaid Expansion Legislation (7/2013)
- Statement of Guiding Principles for Medicaid Reform (MCC & Catholic Hospitals, 5/2013)