Welcoming Immigrants and Refugees
The human dignity of the immigrant, the refugee and the asylee—regardless of personal circumstances, background, or even legal status—must not be forgotten when considering how to manage immigration practices.
While immigration policy is considered a federal issue, Michiganders still have a responsibility for welcoming the strangers who find their way here, and to seek to improve access to education and basic services for immigrants and refugees.
To provide welcome to immigrants and refugees here in Michigan, MCC supports:
- Upholding the human dignity of all persons and working against injustices that compromise the dignity of immigrants.
- Promoting access to state identification and Michigan drivers’ licenses.
- Policies that welcome refugees and asylees to the state who have been admitted by the federal government, as well as policies that provide financial assistance using public and nonprofit organizations to help serve those in need.
- Recognizing and promoting the value that immigrants and refugees provide to Michigan’s culture and economy.
- Catholic Conference Welcomes House Resolution in Support of Welcoming Afghan Refugees to Michigan (10/05/21)
- MCC Advocates for Driver License Access for Undocumented Persons (09/20/16)
- Catholic Church in Michigan Stands Ready to Assist Refugees (11/16/15)
- ‘A Blueprint for the Common Good’ (02/09/15)
- Regarding Governor Snyder’s Comments on Immigration During State of the State Address (01/16/14)
- The Word from Lansing Column:
- Our Plan to Advance the Common Good This Legislative Session (02/03/23)
- 2019–2020: A Blueprint for the Common Good (01/25/19)
- The Issues, The Candidates, and Your Vote 2018 (09/28/18)
- A Blueprint for the Common Good (02/24/17)
- Just Governance: A Lesson in Loving Our Neighbors (04/22/16)
- Refugees and Catholic Social Teaching (Focus Essay, 3/2016)
- Justice for Immigrants (USCCB Initiative, 2013)
- Parish Resource Kit on Immigration Issues (USCCB, 2013)
- Statement on Immigration (Michigan Bishops, 2011)
- Declaraciónes Sobre la Inmigración (Los Obispos Católicos de Michigan, 2011)
- On Immigration (Focus Essay, 5/2008)
MCC in the News
- Drive SAFE Plan guarantees driver’s licenses for immigrants (WLNS, 05/11/21)
- Faith Leaders Embrace New Mission: 2020 Census (Detroit News, 05/28/20)
- Michigan Launches Census Committee Amid Concerns of Minority Undercount (Detroit Free Press, 06/14/19)
- Refugees Deserve Our Help (Detroit News, 12/18/15)
- Immigrant Children Deserve Security and Compassion (Detroit Free Press, 07/18/14)
- Create a Way for Illegal Immigrants to be Made Whole (Detroit Free Press, 08/16/11)
- Guest Commentary: Everyone Deserves to Be Treated Well (Detroit Free Press, 08/07/11)
- Michigan’s Catholic Bishops Urge Immigrant Support (WILX 10, 08/03/11)
- Mich. Catholic Bishops Call for Immigration Reform (CBS Detroit, 08/03/11)
- Lansing Update:
- Unaccompanied Migrant Children Backgrounder (7/2014)
- Webinar: Children Traveling Alone: The Catholic Church’s Response (06/20/14)
- Mission to Central America: The Flight of Unaccompanied Children to the United States (11/2013)
- Bulletin Insert: Immigration Advocacy